Friday, November 25, 2005

Puddles

As I sit and type this little post the rain sings merry tunes on our roof, summoning the flying ants who in turn have made us hostages in our own house. All lights that could attract the enthusiastic breeding machines into the house have been turned off, possible points of entry have been blocked and outside lights have been turned on as a modern day lure (my thanks to Edison). I say breeding machines simply because the second they lose their wings they pair up and begin a strange front to back insect tango. At least our happy frogs patrolling the lures outside are pleased.

The other draw back to the rain is the sweltering heat that comes with it. Now, as a biologist I'm all for sweat - the system works quite well as long as the moisture content of the surrounding air is lower and there's a bit of a breeze. Both of these factors are conspicuously absent in Natal during most summer days, leaving one turning into the above mentioned pool of condensation.

But don't get me wrong - living in a community surrounded by farms means that the final break to the drought is a very welcome one and the lush green foliage that has returned to the gardens and roadsides is almost enough to distract you from the fact that it seems like a better and better idea to bathe in Shield deoderant every day.

In other news - I went back to the Occupational Therapist for a feedback session on Monday. She gave me one form to fill in the previous week to circle how I feel so she could assess my level of depression. She looked at me and told me that the test shows that I'm suffering from severe depression, but that my demeanor and presentation contradict that finding. Adding to comments from my doctor and one psychiatrist that I'm a very good actress. If you know me, you can generally tell how I'm feeling though. Unless I'm trying really hard.

Anyhow - life carries on and now I will retreat to the area under a fan to watch Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Electric lights - man's greatest gift to insectivores.

Did you know that gekkos now outnumber people in SE Asian cities by 9 to 1? I think it's really cool that they've adapted to human encroachment in such a positive way. They just lurk around the light until something winged and tasty comes their way. It's like meals on wheels. Or on wings. Go reptiles!

-ff

1:04 PM  
Blogger moonflake said...

great post! very evocative imagery.

8:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home